Saturday, May 9, 2009

Ducks

One of the things that VERY few people know about me is that I love birds. I am one of the nerdy weird bird watching people. I specifically enjoy ducks. Spring time is extremly fun for me because of my love of ducks. I love Scaups, Mergansers, Buffleheads, Scoter's, Blue-winged Teals, Shovelers, Swans, Mallards, the cute little Ruddys, but my favorite species of North American duck is the good old Aix sponsa. Commonly known as the Wood Duck. Ok I did not really know the scientific name, I had to google it;)
I have not seen too many Wood Ducks in my life time and am very excited when I do. Due to the flooding this past Spring I have had the priveledge to watch not one but two Wood Ducks in the ditch on the way to and from Casselton each day. There is a male and female pair and another lone male living on the East side of highway 18. Even the female Wood Duck is pretty to me.





There have been days that it takes me twenty minutes to travel my whopping seven miles because I like to stop and watch them. Today I stopped and nabbed a few pics of my favorite birds. I know many people will think I am an even bigger nerd than before but I had to share these because I truly love these animals and am fascinated by them. Bill humors me and pretends to listen while I talk about the birds, which I appreciate.




1 comment:

bethany said...

DANA! You are my birding soulmate. I took birdwatching for my lab science in college and loved every minute of it. I too, am found of the ducks, and LOVE your pictures of the wood ducks. You should come visit to check out the mountain varieties of birds. Bring your binocs!!