Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Soap

I get separation of church and state. I understand that everyone is entitled to speak the way they want.
However, I can not handle it when people take the Lord's name in vain. Especially my students.

I did it once when growing up. Yes that is right, ONE time in my house! My calm and wonderful mother marched my little bottom into the bathroom and in the soap went. I believe I was 8 years old at the time and I did it before church. While growing up the soap and I met twice. Another time I said "PISS on that". That also happened before heading to church. Ufda I must have been a difficult child.
I remember once when I was 17 I wanted to call someone the "B" word but because I was with my mom and dad all I could come up with was, "she is just a big witch". I could not do it, I respected them too much to swear in front of them. To this day I would never say a naughty word in front of my mom.
My mom is a teacher, she is in her 37th year of teaching special education in Valley City, ND. She teaches students who are severely handicapped. I do not know how she does it but I am in awe that she does. She not only teaches students but she has taught me for 29 years. I have learned that patience truly is a virtue. She never yelled, never swore, never raised her hand to me, and never ever raised her voice. She used the time out chair, made me finish my vegetables, let me scream and kick on the floor in tantrum until I was done, and gave me the soap treatment twice. I HIGHLY doubt I will ever be the mother she was but I will try.
If God decides that Bill and I should ever have children and they say a bad word, they will also experience the soap in the mouth, just so you know. I am a firm believer in soap in the mouth. It worked for me! I do not often use bad language and before I came to Casselton I hardly ever said a bad word at all. (mmm...darn Casseltonites;) I think it is the Parks and Rec influence. Corrupt individuals that they are.
I wish I could use the soap in the mouth on a few people...

Anyway back to the point of this blog. I really dislike it when my students use God's name in vain and I dislike it even more when my friends do this. It makes my skin crawl, my eyes squint, and my shoulders shrug.
To me breaking the Commandment #3 is not OK. I know I am not perfect, and I do not expect others to be. We all slip (except my mom) and I totally understand the every-once-and-awhile mouth mistakes. I know that I break commandments, and when I do, I talk to God about it and the two of us move on together. I guess I am trying to say that I wish people who used God's name inappropriately would think about it, change it, and KNOCK IT OFF!
After the Viking's loss I read on one of Bill's church going cousin's facebook status. He used a swear word, God's name and the Vikings in his status. SOOO not OK in my book. Why do people do that? I guess if they are not Christian it would not matter to them but the people I am talking about are Christian.
I guess I am judging them, which is a sin in itself! Oh dear, I am attempting to vent. That is why I like blogging and sometimes it sparks some discussion;)

I know I can not change the world but I wonder what would happen if I walked around with a bar of soap and shoved in people's mouths every time they took the Lord's name in vain? Interesting concept;)

1 comment:

Mrs. Narum said...

I apologize in advance. I try not to say it, but sometimes it slips. If you get a bar of soap for taking the Lord's name in vain, and I get a bar for those that say "shutup", I think the world would be a better place.