Sunday, June 26, 2011

One Year Ago

It is crazy what a year can do!

One year ago tomorrow I had my Fundoplication and other fixes. I never really talked a great deal about it with anyone but giggled when I heard what others said I "had done". I actually had someone come up to me and ask if I had gastric bypass surgery. Probably because one year ago today I weighed 50 pounds more. This surgery has allowed me to eat healthy and all and all live better.

A Fundoplication is NOT an elective surgery and is not something I would ever want anyone to go through. It was painful, awful, scary and all around not a good time. Recovery was probably the worst. Well actually the tests leading up to it and the awful news I got from those stupid tests was probably the worst.

Anyway, enough of the icky part of it.

I can honestly say that I am alive and happy today because of Dr. Fabian, my surgeon. I am able to eat fruits, vegetables, salsa, and well food that stays down and does not come back up or cause other major digestive issues.
I am now lactose intolerant and I do sometimes have trouble swallowing but it is so very good to be able to eat what I want, exercise, and live in a more healthy way.
I never want to have to relive the surgery or the month that followed but am so blessed to have gone in when I did.
My quality of life is so much better and I am thankful for modern medicine.

Here is a picture a week after surgery

Here I am about year later! Hanging with my new buddy Henry:)


OH what a difference a year makes:)

No comments: