Friday, April 8, 2011

The Job of The Mayor

In a laughing and sometimes sarcastic tone, people ask what does the Mayor of Amenia do?
Now, make sure you realize I am not bragging because this is not a bragging position. This is just me documenting so that when I create my blog book, I can look back in fifteen years and say to myself "Oh yeah, I was the mayor once."

Here is a list of items I have done thus far in my mayorialship:
  • Called people to pay their water bills
  • Called Lawyer to find out how to make people pay their water bills
  • Contacted law enforcement on: dogs at large, naughty teenagers doing naughty teenage things and how to enforce load restrictions
  • Contacted dog owners because their dog is running at large (including myself)
  • Met with Ottertail Power Company on how to better serve Amenia and about what measures have been taken on how to improve coverage for Amenia
  • Created an enacted a Commercial Building Permit Fee Schedule for our town
  • Ordered gravel for our roads
  • Ordered snow removal
  • Put flooding friends in contact with the sandbags
  • Watch the Rush River rise and fall
  • Watch the lagoon
  • Learned how the Lift Station works, and monitor Lift Station (stinky!)
  • Run monthly meetings
  • Stay in close contact with Auditor on money matters
  • Research new playground equipment for the park (expensive)
  • Assign areas of concern to council members
  • Still watching the lift station (still stinky)
  • Discuss infrastructure of Amenia and make plans to revamp and improve
  • Write building permits
  • Get yelled at via voicemail messages left at midnight (that is really funny...it is even funnier when I see the people who yelled at me and they have no clue they left drunken messages:)
  • Not sure what else I do yet, I have only been the mayor for nine months!
  • Oh still watching the stupid stinky lift station: Did I mention Ralf S. Mouse lives in a little nest right next to it?!?!?! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
I will have to add more if they pop up...I am somewhat enjoying this position. It is kind of fun helping people. I really have no clue what I am doing but I am not afraid to ask. What is the worst people can say? @#)(@*#$)#@(*$)@(#$@#$# You Dana! Is actually what they say, but for some reason it does not bother me!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dana,

My name is Justin Vega, I'm the First Vice Chairman of Fargo, ND District 16 and a Cass County Commission hopeful. I tried calling you today, but the number listed on the Cass County website is broken. I'd like to talk to you and find out what issues are important to you and your community. Please touch base with me. You can reach me at justin.vega@my.ndsu.edu.

Sincerely,

Justin Vega


PS: While searching for a way to contact you I saw that you recently had an addition to the family. Congratulations!