Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Leaving

Our friends at Martin's are leaving tomorrow and I understand it will be good for them to go home and get back to "normal" but I will miss them. Our community has grown and those involved either at the school, at St. Leo's, or at Martin's have grown as well. All of the social status BS was set aside, the rudeness was gone, and people were helping people simply to help people. The true ND human spirit was at its best. I am praying that when things in C-town get back to normal we all remember our new friends and the lessons they have taught us. I also pray that we all visit them in their home.

Today I learned a few more things about the residents and myself...

Jean WAS an English teacher. Now this probably means nothing to those who do not know her but to those who do, it is hilarious! She can be a bit demanding and a bit blunt. I have a feeling that Jean's entire life was spent giving orders and I highly doubt everyone did not jump when she gave them. She is a woman who should not be reckoned with and I hope she can be comfortable back home. Aaron learned that Jean's husband was in the Navy and she traveled all over the world.

I find it fascinating and sad that memory care patients can be totally clear one second and totally not the next.

Nelson does not have family or friends that visit him. I know that he will now have visitors that will swing in to see him! I also learned that Nelson was a Walmart Greeter for ten years. He looked so familiar to me and now I know why.

I love puzzles. I absolutely LOVE doing puzzles:)

I wish I could talk with all of the residents' families and tell them their loved ones are truly amazing and I have enjoyed every puzzle, coloring page, game, discussion, back rub, and walk with them. Maybe when I visit the residents I will be able to meet their family and find out more about them.

I know that I feel that through this flood I have been on a journey of self discovery.

I feel as though I have had a real helping purpose these past days.

I hope that by going back to normal I do not loose the lessons or direction I have acquired.

I am content with my life and where it is going.

Those are the things I have learned from this crazy flood and all that has happened because of it.

No comments: