Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Coaching

This VB season has been so much fun. The girls have been working hard in practice, they are committed, and have a true love of VB. Unfortunately we lost in the semi-finals of regions last night. We played Wyndmere-Lidgerwood and did not play up to par. It flat out stinks. I wish I could express all of the feelings I have but the only way to say it is that it stinks.
I know everyone will play the blame game and it will be all my fault and I am sure there are people that are condemning me and saying whatever it is they say. The fact of the matter is that the other team played better than we did. They just came out to play and we started well but did not finish the sets.
I am in my eleventh season of coaching (not all at the varsity level) and I have had many different experiences with players, parents, siblings, officials, fans, and those in charge. I have been coach of the year a few times, had terrible seasons with many issues, had great seasons with state finishes, and average seasons that ended too soon.
I have had parents come to my classroom corner me in my room, scream at me, call my house and go on swearing innapropriate rants, send nasty emails that for the most part make no sense what-so-ever, tell me what I should do and how I should do it according to them, and my all time favorite meet me at my car in a dark parking lot and threaten me.
I am always amazed at the emotions that come out with athletics. Sometimes I wonder what the heck these people are thinking!! Oh and I know I am not the most polished writer but really people, read what you send before you send it. When people go on a 4-6 paragraph rant that condems me, the school, and the blessed squirrel mascot, it concerns me. What did the squirrel ever do to them;) Oh and I will share it with the appropriate people and wow does respect go out the window.
I am also amazed at the positive experiences and lessons that can come from athletics. People ask why I coach. I have overheard several conversations about me at school from my fellow "friends" judging me and pretending they have a clue of what they are talking about. I really love it when peole who have no coaching experience or have never been a head coach know EXACTLY what we should be doing. Trust me, you do not have a clue of what sacrifices, time, and energy go into it.
Well here is why I do it:
I care about the kids and I want them to see success at something they work hard for. In our world today many tasks are sugar coated. Kids are not pushed like they should be and people are quick to make excuses and place blame. I want to push the kids to work hard and see them succeed. I want them to have feelings of pride and accomplishement so they can take that with them for the rest of their lives.
Athletics can teach lessons that kids will NOT learn anywhere else. I would say that I do not care if I offend anyone who reads this post but it would be a lie. I do care.
That is my biggest fault, I care.
I care with my entire heart and soul about everything I do. I find that sets me up for a great deal of hurt and I am OK with that. I was taught to put everything I have into all I do and I think that is the best way to live life.
Losing last night stinks, it flat out stinks and I hate feeling the way I do today and the lack of sleeping during the night stinks. I cried and I cried and I guess if that makes me a weak person I am OK with that. If I did not cry it would mean that I did not care and did not put my whole heart into what I was doing.
Today we will have our last practice and tomorrow night will be our last match. It is going to be tough especially for the seniors. I love each of them and wish I had the words to make their hurt go away. I loved this season and I can not believe it is coming to and end. This just stinks!

1 comment:

M. Holland said...

Dana, the sad thing is that as a coach, a teacher, and even just a person we NEVER hear the positive things people are saying, just the negative!

You do a great job with your athletes and it is very obvious that you love the sport and your athletes and they love you back! Keep your chin up. You had a great season and you have a lot to be proud of!

I am VERY proud of you and think you are a GREAT good coach, teacher, and even a better person! ;-)

Love ya!